Monday, November 3, 2008

Bratislava




The last day of our trip we passed through Slovakia and stopped in Bratislava. Here, we walked to the least impressive castle I have ever seen. Construction has the ability to ruin any good historical building… but hey at least it is an excuse to advertise!

Construction is always going on and I have recently been skeptical about the authentic of old buildings. Many places we have gone have all been renovated or constructed in the 19th century and are made to look older. Boooo…
So Bratislava was nice. It was very very small and I only spent about 3 hours there. I had enough time to snap some shots of local graffiti art (notice the Donnie Darko quote) and drink some hot cocoa... which was more like fondue or pudding. Delicious!!





After spending a bit of time in the main square I hiked to the Devin Castle. (Why do they always have to put them on hills??). The views from the castle were incredible (as always) and overlooked the confluence of the Danube and Moravia Rivers. It reminded me a bit of the Sacramento River running through Chico ,and how much I miss floating it!


I enjoyed the castle all together but must say I was a bit sad to find that most of what I was seeing was redone to look like the original. In about 20 years they may have the whole castle built to original form! Strange to re-build something that looks so cool in ruined form.





Also at this Castle was a man and a wishing well. You drop water in it and can’t hear the sound of it hitting the bottom of the well for a good 30 seconds. The man was quite jolly, which made me happy because I love jolly people.




Many people used the time we had at the castle to catch up on some much needed sleep. A 5 day trip is exhausting.. next ill tell you about my 10 day vacation! (it may take a bit)

No comments: