Friday, September 5, 2008

Booze Cruise









Yesterday we went with the USAC group on a boat cruise... aka 'Booze Cruise'... for those who watch the office. It was about two hours long and consisted of me taking about a billion pictures and people accusing me of being a paparazzi. typical. I got some nice shots. It was cool to see the monuments along the river from a different angle than the shore. I was so into looking at everything! I just can't get over how beautiful it is here!

I finally found a decent place to shop.. and there is actually food there!! It's nice that in class we are finally learning items and how to order food. No more feeling like an idiot pointing and feeling like I'm pissing people off. It is hard to go out to eat and have a legitimate Czech experience. I try to pronounce something.. fail miserably and then they start speaking broken English to me. I guess it's like meeting half way. Believe it or not I have developed a habit of being mute. Yes... me quiet! When I go into places or the tram I try not to talk or interact with many people... this way i can blend in and people think I'm a local! I was in the grocery store the other day... went to grab some cereal and the bag exploded all over! I went to check out and there were cheerio type things everywhere... the check out lady started talking to me and I just looked at her smiling and said 'poof'.. with some amazing hand gestures added. That is how I get by... smiling, sounds and gestures.

We are off to a klub tonight. It is open til 5am. I think we may stay awake until the sun comes up. Tomorrow morning, early, a small group of us are off to Moravia, another province in the Czech Republic. It is like the napa of California... vino, vino, vino. Apparently we are supposed to bring empty bottles with us to fill with wine once we get there. Who really knows? I am just going along for the ride... and the adventures of course!

Oh yeah... last night we went to a Rasta underground bar that played reggae. I was wearing a hat and one of the bartender/dj's there took a liking to me. He said 'hey your dat girl!'.. later he came up and placed a bud of weed in front of me.... it was very thoughtful of him. I didnt have the heart to tell him I didn't smoke so i did my best to roll a 'splif'.... umm.. it was very special looking. I gave it to everyone I was sitting with and was able to avoid smoking it. It was quite awkward.

No comments: