Sunday, September 7, 2008

Moravsky aka Morava











I just got back from a weekend trip to Morava.. a region in the southern part of the Czech Republic. To break it down Prague= Beer and Morava=Wine... and might I add some of the worst wine I have ever tasted. The trip itself was splendid. The entire weekend only cost about $60 which included transportation, 2.5 meals, museum entry fee, wine tasting and a place to sleep. We got off to a late start because our tour guide decided to sleep in. (If I knew this was going to happen I would have slept 3 hours instead of 1.5 (it was a wild night before... 5 story club, Welsh hockey players and 3 German men in lederhosen.. YES!!!)). After falling asleep on the curb our guide(who I'll tell you doesn't bathe) finally arrived. 20 of us piled onto the smallest bus/largest van in the country and were off.

Our first stop was a museum that is temporarily being used as an art gallery. Alfons Mucha work was displayed. The painting were gynormous, dark, and very art nouveau. When we first pulled up to the place we thought it was were we were staying. I was nervous. This wouldn't have been the case if the first thing we saw wasn't a drunk man at this hole in the wall restaurant puking over a railing. Nice!

Our next stop was lunch...(great transition I know) which was amazing because we were all starving. Fried cheese and ham. Delicious! The town we stopped in. Mikulov reminded me a lot of Italy.. even though I have never been there (yet) I believe it looked very similar. It was clean and colorful and I couldn't stop taking pictures! There was a Tuscany feel and it was gorgeous.

We reached our final destination just in time to watch the sun setting on the vineyards. The man who ran the place was so cute. He was humble, always smiling and you could tell he loved that we were there. He had food and wine ready for us when we arrived and was so proud to pour us 20+ samples of his wine. Yes... 20+. The flavor was not for me and the system of sampling was strange. We were all given one large shot glass which we drank out of over and over without rinsing between wines... and we had to drink it fast. It was more like a wine 'power hour' than a tasting. I poured most of mine down the sink when no one was looking. seriously.. the worst wine ever!

After the tasting we were giving snacks and of course.. more wine. Before bed we somehow started singing the armageddon song (dont was to close my eyes...la la la). Maybe it was a recap of our 'Survior' break out concert earlier in the tasting dungeon! We slept at the vineyard in tiny bunkbeds. I found myself talking Czech out loud in the middle of the night and woke myself up. Wow... a bit embarrassing...but I tend to talk more in my sleep when I'm in an unfamiliar place. haha.

The drive home was much better than the ride there and the view was amazing (please refer to picture of man with no pants) Yes... apparently this is how they do it here. Also take note the manpris - as in capris for men. All the Czech males sport them and my roommates and I find it quite hilarious. We have started a contest for best pair and will eventually make a slide show available soon at a video store near you. Be excited!

No comments: