School is the most difficult thing ever! The class title is "Czech INTENSIVE 1". I now know why they use the word 'intense'. It is taught all in Czech and everything just doesn't make sense to me. My other classes that start next week will be in English. So in class...of course I get picked on first to speak. I was asked my name and responded by saying I am Pavlova... that is my teachers name.(I'm an idiot) I had no idea what she was trying to get me to say, so I just read what was on the board. I am just so great at setting the bar! Whenever I look at a word and try to read it out loud it ends up being pronounced exactly the opposite of what I say. French class has ruined me forever in my Czech speaking abilities. J's are silent, and in French they are pronounced. I speak the French way every time!! Maybe Paris is calling?
So when it comes to eating food life sucks! I've never really been a big fan of eating out but when the grocery stores are tiny, you have to purchase your own bag in order to carry your goods from the supermarket to your house, and you get there on the tram... eating out is the way to do it. It is nice because there are little liquor stores on almost every street that sell fresh fruit and snacks. let's say that the people who work there don't speak Czech either.
So the first shopping experience: Vesco is like the walmart of this place. They have everything!.. well almost. It was a little crazy when we went shopping. I needed to get school supplies, a watch, a towel( the one they give us here is like a hand towel sized piece of sandpaper.. Ouch!) and all the other little necessities... like toilet paper. As I said before it is scented. I saw it and thought " ooo strawberry print". Naturally I smelled it and when it smelled fruity. Who knew? Shopping in a foreign country has made me appreciate advertising and branding so much more. It is surprising how many labels look familiar or brands that we find our self buying here because it is the most similar to something from the USA. I plan to go back to Vesco tomorrow with the new roomies.
I got a vodafone today. It is a prepaid mobile that works all over Europe. I think it is 6kc/minute within the Czech Republic and 11kc/min to and from the US. Texting is less expensive, at like 1.6kc or something. To put that in perspective $1 is about 15-16kc. The new number is 00420776291883. (and im hoping that no creepers come on this site and take that!)
Oh yes.. and it rained today. lovely lovely... i wore shorts and enjoyed every drop! ( only because it was still warm.)I can't imagine how cold it is going to eventually get here!
I promise to get some pictures up soon. I bore myself just reading through the pages and pages of me babbling on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment